Android EngineerLocation: Berlin or Hong Kong
Type: Full-time, in-house
Compensation: Monthly Salary & Employee Stock Options
This is a unique opportunity for a talented Android developer to join one of Berlin and Hong Kong’s most successful technology companies (over 80,000 devices sold, second biggest crowdfunding success ever).
We are looking for someone to work on the development and scaling of The Metronome by Soundbrenner, one of the most successful Android apps in the Music category, and the companion app for the Soundbrenner Core 4-in-1 musician’s Smartwatch. Our app is #1 when you search for “metronome” in the US app store, and has over 500,000 monthly active users.
This is a full time position based in our Berlin or Sheung Wan office.
What we’re looking for
An exceptional software engineering team trusts and likes each other. Great developers like to work with other great developers. We don’t wear ties, we are friends working together.
That’s why we are looking for someone that shares our passions: Music and engineered quality.
We’re in need of an Android Engineer to help us build the best metronome app in the Play store. It’s a super interesting position, because we use so much of the OS’s functionality:
- Bluetooth Low Energy / Bluetooth 5
- Low Level audio programming (JNI)
- Client/Server communication (Open Source Parse Server)
In our team, we have knowledge of Digital Signal Processing, Music Information Retrieval, Embedded Systems Development, Musical Instrument Design and HCI in Music, with many years of mobile application development experience. Us, that is Pau from Spain, Jordan from Canada, Julian from Germany, Alejandro from Mexico, Ahmad from Syria, Saba from Turkey, and Matthijs from the Netherlands.
You’ll love to work with modern tools like Scrum, see your Hong Kong coworkers every morning at the daily video standup meeting and once a year at the big company get together.
Choose your weapons. You are free to work within the IDE and toolchain you prefer. If you like self-managing and result-oriented evaluation, you’ve found your place.
This is what you will do
Some of the key challenges in the next year are a cloud library synchronization service, as well as the integration of a Bluetooth communication protocol to control the second generation device
- Frontend: Implement user interfaces based on great designs and specs
- Backend: Implement robust communication with our backend server using the interwebs
- IoT: Learn about implementing communication to our hardware product via Bluetooth Low Energy and Bluetooth 5
- Architecture: We refactor. Our code deserves to be beautiful
- Keep an eye out for portability and scalability – we build software that lasts
- Give feedback to the product owner about the specs, contribute to the roadmap planning
- Learn about new concepts and technologies from your coworkers, and contribute your own ideas and knowledge
- Pick up our challenge to reduce our bug count to (near?) zero
Hello? Is it you we’re looking for?
- Top notch developing skill, but humble about it
- A passion for music, with at least some basic music making skills
- Developed and released at least one Android app to the Play Store
- Understanding of the full mobile development life cycle
- An interest in software architecture and design patterns
- Up to date with developments and trends in the Android community
- “Do not repeat yourself” DRY coding mentality
- Appreciation for great design and user experience
- An open-mindedness towards other cultures, habits, and life concepts
- Good English skills in speaking and writing (we document)
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field from a university in Hong Kong or already present in Berlin (with work permit)
- Some basic music making skills or at least a passion for music
- Experience with Unit Testing
- Experience with client-server communication (REST/JSON, etc.)
- Ability to read iOS code (Swift and Objective-C)
What it's like working at Soundbrenner:
- You will work with an international team of very talented engineers in an intense work environment. As a result you will experience a steep learning curve and have the chance to grow in rapid speed together with the company. It will be quite fast paced and a hell of a lot of fun. Our CTO summarized it quite well: https://email@example.com/working-at-soundbrenner-eb29e0a69fa5
- If you are missing skills from the above list but believe that you can make up for it with great ambition, commitment and the ability to learn fast, we encourage you to apply.
- At Soundbrenner we value justice and we value fairness. If you are capable of adding a lot of value to the company, you will be compensated accordingly. That’s why we are more than happy to offer you company equity as part of your pay. All you need to worry about is doing what you love to do: A great job.
- The work we do at Soundbrenner has the potential to touch the life of every single musician on the planet. If we are successful your work may influence an entire industry for the better. We love music and working on something that matters inspires us to give our best every single day.
Please submit your application including your salary expectations and earliest starting date. Let us know who you are and which of your strengths make YOU the person we were looking for.
Please send your application to [email protected].